In 2010 a tragic event where chlorhexidine was mistaken for saline left Grace Wang paralysed (see here). A formal investigation of the incident made this recommendation:
However indistinct preparations of chlorhexidine still exist in many hospitals leaving patients at unnecessary risk. Attempts to have it banned through current health care frameworks have been unsuccessful.
Numerous similar cases of inadvertent chlorhexidine injection have occurred (see here) leading to amputations, paralysis and deaths. All have occurred in the presence of pourable, almost colourless versions of chlorhexidine.
We need your support – please click here and sign the petition to ban indistinct pourable chlorhexidine – this goes straight to regulating authorities and manufacturers.
Pink chlorhexidine (middle of image) is easily mistaken for colourless solutions. There’s no need for these indistinct solutions and safer versions (e.g. red chlorhexidine – right of image) are already in use in many hospitals without problem and at no extra cost.
Watch ‘Gina’s Story’ to see how arterial injection resulted in leg amputation at the waist.
Read ‘Mary McLinton’s Story’ – she had chlorhexidine injected into the blood supply to her brain. She died two weeks later in agony, at one point begging a nurse to kill her.
“No one took action to change the process before this tragedy occurred.”
We’re trying but need your help. Please sign the petition here.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Unfortunately the only thing stopping us banning indistinct pourable chlorhexidine is us and the deficient health care safety systems we’ve created.